Topic: Foundational values for Civil Service.
8) Social influence and persuasion are fundamental functions of communication, in relevance to pubic services, discuss the significance of these values to a public servant’s life.(250 words)
Ethics by Lexicon
Why this question:
The question is intended to evaluate the significance of the values of Social influence and persuasion as fundamental functions of communication.
Key demand of the question:
The answer must discuss the importance of values of Social influence and persuasion in communication aspects of public servants while rendering their service to the people.
Discuss – This is an all-encompassing directive – you have to debate on paper by going through the details of the issues concerned by examining each one of them. You have to give reasons for both for and against arguments.
Structure of the answer:
In a few introductory lines appreciate the need for such values in a public servant.
- Define first – what do you understand by social influence and persuasion ?
Social influence – A change in person’s behaviour, thoughts, feelings and attitudes that results from interaction with another individual in society.
Persuasion – ability to make someone do something through the use of words to manipulate their thoughts, behavior, and actions.
- What is the difference between social influence and persuasion?
- Discuss How can a civil servant/public servant be more persuasive?
- Use examples wherever possible to justify their importance.
Conclude with importance of the above virtues to public servants in their service.