Indian culture will cover the salient aspects of Art Forms, Literature and Architecture from ancient to modern times.
Sri Vedanta Desikan
What to study?
For prelims: about Sri Vedanta Desikar- teachings, achievements and literary works.
For mains: significance and relevance of his teachings.
Why in News? A postage stamp has been released to commemorate 750th birth anniversary of Sri Vedanta Desikan and his great philosopher’s life and highly valued work.
- Sri Vedanta Desikan (1268–1369) was a Sri Vaishnava guru/philosopher and one of the most brilliant stalwarts of Sri Vaishnavism in the post-Ramanuja period.
- He was a poet, devotee, philosopher and master-teacher (desikan).
- He was the disciple of Kidambi Appullar, also known as Aathreya Ramanujachariar, who himself was of a master-disciple lineage that began with Ramanuja.
- He is considered to be avatar (incarnation) of the divine bell of Venkateswara of Tirumalai by the Vadakalai sect of Sri Vaishnavite.
- Literary works: Sri Sthothra Nidhi, Sri Paduka Sahasram, Rahasya Granthams, Sri Desika Prabandham, Kavyams.
- Honors: Sarvathanthra Swathanthrar, Kavitharkiga Simham, Vedanthachariar.