Topic : Conservation, environmental pollution and degradation, environmental impact assessment
6) Climate change is not anymore only an environmental problem, but a unique one with multi-scalar characteristic, from the global to the local. Comment, also discuss challenges in tackling the problem of climate change across the world. (250 words)
Why this question:
The article explains in detail the issue of climate change facing the world and how it is not anymore just about being an environmental problem but much more than that, it highlights the multi-dimensional aspects of climate change and critically analyses the associate problems in tackling it.
Key demand of the question:
The answer must discuss the alarming need to address the climate change differently from the usual methods of commitments as they are not doing there bit anymore to address the impact of climate change effectively.
Comment– here we have to express our knowledge and understanding of the issue and form an overall opinion thereupon.
Structure of the answer:
In a few introductory lines explain how climate change is a multi-faceted problem today.
- Explain – why climate change is an immediate issue that needs address and action today?
- Explain the issue with facts and figures – Global warming above pre-industrial levels has touched about 1 degree Celsius etc.
- What are the challenges in addressing climate change ?
- complex linkages among emissions, concentrations, climate changes, and impacts.
- Lack of certainty about the details of future climate change.
- significant time lags in human response systems.
- Risks, judgments about risk, and adaptation needs are highly variable across different contexts.
- Suggest what needs to be done?
- Discuss Indian context and what should India’s move be to tackle climate change at individual level as well as in collaboration with world countries.
Conclude with urgency of the need to tackle climate change.