Are you Ready for Insta 75 Days Revision Plan (UPSC Prelims - 2020)?
Topic: Statutory, regulatory and various quasi-judicial bodies
4) Discuss the emergence of quasi-judicial bodies as an alternative justice system in India.(250 words)
Polity by Lakshmikant, D D Basu
Why this question:
The question is about evaluating the role of quasi-judicial bodies in functioning as an alternate justice system.
Key demand of the question:
The answer must appreciate the role played by quasi-judicial bodies in India and how over time they have emerged as a mechanism of justice. One must explain using suitable examples.
Discuss – This is an all-encompassing directive – you have to debate on paper by going through the details of the issues concerned by examining each one of them. You have to give reasons for both for and against arguments.
Structure of the answer:
Briefly suggest the evolution of quasi-judicial bodies in India.
Body of the answer should discuss the following:
- What do you understand by quasi-judicial bodies? – an organization or an individual on which powers resembling that of court of law of a judge have been conferred in order to adjudicate and decide upon a situation and impose penalty upon the guilty or regulate the conduct of the individual or entity.
- Discuss the emergence of quasi-judicial bodies in India.
- Suggest examples ranging from tribunals; types and various other bodies that support as an alternative mechanism of justice.
- Discuss the pros and cons, limitations or criticism if any.
- Quote examples ranging from – Lok Adalat, administrative tribunals, NGT etc.
- Suggest what should be done ?
Conclude with significance of these quasi-judicial bodies in administering justice.