Are you Ready for Insta 75 Days Revision Plan (UPSC Prelims - 2020)?
- Indian culture will cover the salient aspects of Art Forms, Literature and Architecture from ancient to modern times.
Stucco Sculpture and Ikshvaku dynasty
What to study?
For prelims and mains: what are stucco sculptures and about Ikshvaku dynasty, recent findings.
Why in news? Indian archaeologists recently unearthed a rare life-sized stucco sculpture from a Buddhist site at Phanigiri in Suryapet, Telangana.
- It is the biggest stucco sculpture found so far in India. It is about 1.73 metres in height and 35 cm in width.
- It represents a Bhodhisattva in Jathaka Chakra.
- It was created nearly 1,700 years ago by craftsmen at Phanigiri at peak of Ikshavaku dynasty.
Who is Bhodhisattva?
A bodhisattva is a Buddhist deity who has attained the highest level of enlightenment, but who delays their entry into Paradise in order to help the earthbound. The bodhisattva, known in Sanskrit as Avalokiteśvara, takes both male and female form and is associated with the qualities of mercy and compassion
The Ikshvaku dynasty:
- As per Puranic literature, it was founded by king Ikshvaku. It is also known as Sūryavaṁśa (the Solar dynasty).
- Important Personalities belonging to this dynasty includes: Lord Rama, Twenty-two out of twenty-four Jain Tirthankara, and according to Buddhist texts, Prince Siddhartha also belonged to this dynasty.
Sources: The Hindu.