Are you Ready for Insta 75 Days Revision Plan (UPSC Prelims - 2020)?
- Bilateral, regional and global groupings and agreements involving India and/or affecting India’s interests.
Indian and French Navies conduct Varuna
What to study?
For prelims and mains: Varuna and other such bilateral exercises and their significance.
Context: The first part of the Indo-French joint naval exercise, Varuna 19.1 will be conducted off the Goa coast.
About the exercise:
- The bilateral naval exercise initiated in 1983 form a vital part of the Indo-French strategic partnership.
- Having grown in scope and complexity over the years, this exercise exemplifies the strong relations between the two nations, in line with the Joint Strategic Vision of India-French Cooperation in the Indian Ocean Region.
- The exercise aims at developing interoperability between the two navies and fostering mutual cooperation by learning from each other’s best practices to conduct joint operations.
- The exercise underscores the shared interests and commitment of both nations in promoting maritime security.