Topic : Dimensions of ethics.
7) With technological innovations greatly influencing human values mainstreaming of ethics with technology is becoming a necessity. Discuss. (250 words)
Why this question:
The article highlights the need for Ethics in the time of technology. Recently An external advisory council, the Advanced Technology External Advisory Council (ATEAC) — essentially an ethics council to guide new technologies was set up by Google in the last week of March, the article highlights failure of conception, planning and execution of ethics by the technology giant.
Demand of the question:
The answer must evaluate need of ethics in technology. One has to highlight that for the benefit of technology users, companies building technologies must make efforts to raise awareness of their potential human risks and be honest about how people’s data is used by their innovations.
Discuss – This is an all-encompassing directive – you have to debate on paper by going through the details of the issues concerned by examining each one of them. You have to give reasons for both for and against arguments.
Structure of the answer:
Start by explaining need for ethics in technology.
- Discuss what you understand by In technology ethics; issues arising from artificial intelligence, cybersecurity, information technology, biotechnology, and other emerging fields.
- Technology ethics is the application of ethical thinking to the practical concerns of technology. The reason technology ethics is growing in prominence is that new technologies give us more power to act, which means that we have to make choices we didn’t have to make before. While in the past our actions were involuntarily constrained by our weakness, now, with so much technological power, we have to learn how to be voluntarily constrained by our judgment: our ethics.
- Take cues from the article , throw light on Googles seven principles of ethics – (i) be socially beneficial, (ii) avoid creating or reinforcing unfair bias, (iii) be built and tested for safety, (iv) be accountable to people, (v) incorporate privacy design principles, (vi) uphold high standards of scientific excellence, (vii) be made available for uses that accord with these principles.
- Conclude with what needs be done?
Highlight the need for technology ethics.