Are you Ready for Insta 75 Days Revision Plan (UPSC Prelims - 2020)?
Topic: Conservation, environmental pollution and degradation, environmental impact assessment.
6) World’s forests are in an ‘emergency room’. Comment. (250 words)
Why this question:
The article gives a detailed account of a report that states that world lost 12 million hectares (30 million acres) of tropical tree cover last year, warning the planet’s health was at stake. The report also quotes that it was the fourth highest annual decline since records began in 2001, according to new data from Global Forest Watch, which uses satellite imagery and remote sensing to monitor tree cover losses from Brazil to Ghana.
Demand of the question:
The answer must evaluate in detail the highlights of the report and discuss the alarming issue of decline in the forest area of the world.
Comment– here we have to express our knowledge and understanding of the issue and form an overall opinion thereupon.
Structure of the answer:
Start with few facts/ stats from the report of Global Forest Watch.
- Highlights of the report – The study highlighted new deforestation hotspots, particularly in Africa, where illegal mining, small-scale forest clearing and the expansion of cocoa farms led to an increase in tree loss in countries such as Ghana and the Ivory Coast.
- Indonesia was a rare bright spot, with primary forest loss slowing for two years running, after the government imposed a moratorium on forest-clearing.
- Indonesia has the world’s third largest total area of tropical forest and is also the biggest producer of palm oil. Environmentalists blame much of the forest destruction on land clearance for oil-palm plantations.
- The answer thus is straightforward , one has to discuss the causes leading to loss of forests across the world and the consequences and repercussions that it bears on the ecosystem. Discuss how degradation of forests in turn will intensify the climate change and vice-a -versa.
- Discuss what needs to be done to control this alarming situation, stress on need for Bold action to tackle this global crisis including restoring lost forests.
Highlight the importance and the wisdom that the report brings.