Are you Ready for Insta 75 Days Revision Plan (UPSC Prelims - 2020)?
Topic: India and its neighborhood- relations. Bilateral, regional and global groupings and agreements involving India and/or affecting India’s interests
Effect of policies and politics of developed and developing countries on India’s interests, Indian diaspora.
5) In what way the revival of ancient silk route by China through BRI is changing the geopolitics of the region? Analyse. (250 words)
Why this question:
Recently China announced that the financial model for funding projects under its flagship Belt and Road Initiative (BRI) had been revamped, countering criticism that its mega-connectivity undertaking was opening “debt traps” for enhancing its geopolitical influence.
Key demand of the question:
The answer must thus evaluate the revival of ancient silk route and its impact on the geopolitics of the region.
Analyze – When asked to analyse, you have to examine methodically the structure or nature of the topic by separating it into component parts and present them as a whole in a summary.
Structure of the answer:
Introduce by highlighting the present context of BRI.
- Discuss the details of belt and road initiative project – policy has two components:
- Belt– The “One Belt” refers to the land-based “Silk Road Economic Belt”. Here Beijing aims to connect the country’s underdeveloped hinterland to Europe through Central Asia.
- Road – The “One Road” references the ocean-going “Maritime Silk Road”. It is to connect the fast-growing South East Asian region to China’s southern provinces through ports and railways.
- Explain how One Belt One Road (OBOR) is arguably one of the largest development plans in modern history.
- Discuss whether this initiative is merely economic one or geostrategic step by China?
- Discuss whether India will benefit by joining this initiative or not?
- Discuss the Geostrategic aspect in CPEC, its implications on India.
- What should be India’s stand?
Conclude by bringing out both advantages and disadvantages of OBOR on the geopolitics of the region and suggest what should be the way forward.