Topic: Structure, organization and functioning of the Executive and the Judiciary Ministries and Departments of the Government; pressure groups and formal/informal associations and their role in the Polity.
2) Does the Rajya Sabha hold a position at equals with the Lok Sabha? Discuss any two provisions apart from money bill provisions that put the Rajya Sabha at disadvantage.(250 words)
D D Basu
Why this question:
The question is straight forward and direct from the static portions.
Key demand of the question:
The answer must evaluate the position of Rajya Sabha vis-à-vis Lok Sabha, discuss powers of RS and what are the factors that make its position weaker compared to LS.
Discuss – This is an all-encompassing directive – you have to debate on paper by going through the details of the issues concerned by examining each one of them. You have to give reasons for both for and against arguments.
Structure of the answer:
Begin by stating importance of Rajya Sabha in the parliamentary system of the country.
In brief discuss the following points –
- Provide for a comparison between the powers and position of the lok sabha and the rajya sabha .
- Rajya Sabha enjoys equal powers with Lok Sabha in matters like the impeachment of the President, removal of the vice-president, constitutional amendments, and removal of the judges of the Supreme Court and the High Courts. In matter of creating All India Services Rajya Sabha enjoys special powers.
- Highlight how it keeps up the federal feature of the system.
- Discuss provisions where RS is at a disadvantage apart from money bill.
Conclude with importance of Rajya sabha.