Topic: Indian Economy and issues relating to planning, mobilization of resources, growth, development.
5) Suspension of cross LoC trade between Jammu & Kashmir and Pakistan-Occupied-Kashmir (PoK) is part of a larger change in the strategy for dealing with Kashmir at the policy level. Discuss.(250 words)
Why this question:
The article discusses the effects of the suspension of cross LoC trade between Jammu & Kashmir and Pakistan-Occupied-Kashmir (PoK) that was in force with effect from April 19. The article discusses the possible ill effects it has on the relations and stability of the region.
Demand of the question:
The answer must evaluate in detail the reason for suspension of cross-LoC trade, the impact it had on other aspects and whether the decision was in favor of the situation.
Discuss – This is an all-encompassing directive – you have to debate on paper by going through the details of the issues concerned by examining each one of them. You have to give reasons for both for and against arguments.
Structure of the answer:
Start by narrating a brief background of the situation amidst which the decision was taken.
- First explain the Importance of LoC trade – how it benefits the local economy, helps generate employment, political value it carries , catalyzes peace negotiations etc.
- Then move on to discuss the concerns it poses – security concerns, regional imbalance in terms of trade etc.
- Discuss the policy level changes associated with it.
- What are the strategic impact that it brings.
- Conclude with what should be done?
Conclude with way forward.