Topic: Effect of policies and politics of developed and developing countries on India’s interests.
3) Discuss the impact of recent US sanctions on Iran on the geopolitics of the world with emphasis on effects it has on India. (250 words)
Why this question:
The question is amidst the recent sanctions posed by US on Iran. President Trump, in a move that could have implications on India’s energy security, recently decided not to grant sanctions exemptions to any oil customers of Iran, further squeezing Tehran’s top export commodity. The US re-imposed sanctions on Iran last November, after Trump pulled out of the landmark 2015 Iran nuclear deal.
Key demand of the question:
The answer must thus evaluate the impact of such decisions on the world economy and India in particular.
Discuss – This is an all-encompassing directive – you have to debate on paper by going through the details of the issues concerned by examining each one of them. You have to give reasons for both for and against arguments.
Structure of the answer:
Introduce with context of the question.
- Explain why the sanctions were imposed?
- What impact does it have on the Iranian economy?
- Impact on Indian economy?
- Should the sanction change the modus operandi of the Chabahar project? – take cues from the article, discuss associated pros and cons.
- Discuss what should be India’s stand?
Conclude with the impact it has on the world economies.