Topic: Parliament and State Legislatures – structure, functioning, conduct of business, powers & privileges and issues arising out of these.
1) With many constituencies objecting upon faulty voting machines, what steps should the Election Commission take to restore the confidence of voters on the elections process? Explain.(250 words)
Why this question:
The question is amidst frequent allegations that have recently been gathering under various constituencies regarding the reliability of Electronic voting machines. It has been alleged that voting machines have been tampered to favor of a particular party.
Key demand of the question:
The answer must narrate recent controversies related to electronic voting machines and what should be the course of action by election commission to restore the public faith in the free and fair process of election.
Explain – Clarify the topic by giving a detailed account as to how and why it occurred, or what is the particular context. You must be defining key terms where ever appropriate, and substantiate with relevant associated facts.
Structure of the answer:
Begin with the recent issues raised with respect to EVMs.
- One must list the various plethora of issues raised against the EVM- EVM-tampering.
- Discuss how election commission has been evolving with technological innovations , processes and procedures to plug loopholes.
- Explain the processes such as coming of VVPATs, evolution of ballot boxes etc.
- Discuss how ECI should come up with awareness camps, use of social media to disseminate information etc.
Conclude by asserting the significance of ECI and highlight the fairness with which the ECI works.