Are you Ready for Insta 75 Days Revision Plan (UPSC Prelims - 2020)?
Topic: Role of media and social networking sites in internal security challenges, basics of cyber security.
5) Social media is prone to herd behaviour, suppression of social media presumably helps prevent the spread of fake news. Critically analyse the statement in the context of steps taken by the Sri-Lankan government to ban social media post terror attack. (250 words)
Why this question:
The article provides for a brief analysis of how some regulation to check fake news is necessary, despite the risks of regulatory capture. This is in the light of the responses of the Sri Lankan government to the terrorist attack on Easter recently that was to clamp down on social media.
Key demands of the question:
The answer must discuss evolution of evolution of separation of powers and explain how the Separation of Powers is implemented in our nation.
Critically analyze – When asked to analyze, you have to examine methodically the structure or nature of the topic by separating it into component parts and present them as a whole in a summary. When ‘critically’ is suffixed or prefixed to a directive, one needs to look at the good and bad of the topic and give a fair judgement.
Structure of the answer:
Introduce by highlighting the situation in Sri – Lanka and steps taken by govt.
The body of the answer should address the following dimensions:
- How and why Social media is prone to herd behaviour?
- Why the suppression of social media presumably helps prevent the spread of fake news, rumors and hate speech.
- What are the negatives associated? – economic costs, in terms of a shutdown of legitimate e-commerce. It hurts businesses and services that depend on digital connectivity etc.
- Take cues from the article and suggest solutions.
Conclude with way forward.