Topic : Salient features of the Representation of People’s Act.
4) The Model Code of Conduct has been violated by several candidates and parties during campaigning for the Lok Sabha elections. Critically examine the authority of election commission to take against such candidates and parties.(250 words)
Why this question:
The question is about discussing role of election commission in checking violations of MCC.
Key demand of the question:
The answer must discuss the recent violations in MCC and the role of ECI in addressing these violations .
Critically Examine – When asked to ‘Examine’, we have to look into the topic (content words) in detail, inspect it, investigate it and establish the key facts and issues related to the topic in question. While doing so we should explain why these facts and issues are important and their implications. When ‘critically’ is suffixed or prefixed to a directive, one needs to look at the good and bad of the topic and give a fair judgement.
Structure of the answer
Introduce by highlighting the recent incidences of violation of MCC.
The body of the answer should address the following dimensions:
- Discuss the recent incidences of violation of model code of conduct.
- Role of Election Commission of India in such scenario.
- Key Functions and Powers and Independence of the Election Commission.
- Discuss the recent cases where ECI went vociferously and also instances where it was helpless and handcuffed.
Conclude with way forward.