Topic : Public/Civil service values and Ethics in Public administration
7) Discuss with examples the significance of principles of public life as recommended by Nolan committee.(250 words)
Ethics by Lexicon publications.
Why this question:
The question is based on the concept of principles of public life as recommended by Nolan committee.
Key demand of the question:
The answer must elaborate on of principles of public life as recommended by Nolan committee.
Structure of the answer:
Define what are the basic principles of public life as recommended by the committee on standards in public life .
- Discuss the seven principles in detail as given below –
- Selflessness – Holders of public office should act solely in terms of the public interest.
- Integrity – Holders of public office must avoid placing themselves under any obligation to people or organizations that might try inappropriately to influence them in their work. They should not act or take decisions to gain financial or other material benefits for themselves, their family, or their friends. They must declare and resolve any interests and relationships.
- Objectivity – Holders of public office must act and take decisions impartially, fairly and on merit, using the best evidence and without discrimination or bias.
- Accountability – Holders of public office are accountable to the public for their decisions and actions and must submit themselves to the scrutiny necessary to ensure this.
- Openness – Holders of public office should act and take decisions in an open and transparent manner. Information should not be withheld from the public unless there are clear and lawful reasons for so doing.
- Honesty – Holders of public office should be truthful
- Leadership – Holders of public office should exhibit these principles in their own behaviour. They should actively promote and robustly support the principles and be willing to challenge poor behaviour wherever it occurs.
One should explain the above principles with examples and justify the answer.
Conclude with significance of such norms in public life .