Topic: Climate Change – geographical features and their location- changes in critical geographical features (including waterbodies and ice-caps) and in flora and fauna and the effects of such changes.
1) Assessing geographic variability in heat wave vulnerability should become the basis for planning in India to tackle the brunt of Heat waves. Discuss the statement in the context of recent heat wave incidents often witnessed by the country.(250 words)
Why this question:
The question is in the context of onset of Heat waves in most parts of the country. The weather agencies have predicted that central and north-western India will bear the brunt of the sun, while heat waves have already struck several parts of the south India.
Key demands of the question:
The question expects us to first highlight that heat waves have become quite frequent. Thereafter, we need to examine the adverse socio economic and health impact of heat waves and analyze how India should deal with the problem by mainly focusing on policy that involves geographical mapping of vulnerability.
Discuss – This is an all-encompassing directive – you have to debate on paper by going through the details of the issues concerned by examining each one of them. You have to give reasons for both for and against arguments.
Structure of the answer:
Introduce by highlighting the condition of heatwaves in India.
The body of the answer should address the following dimensions:
- Explain the condition of heat waves currently facing the country.
- Discuss the causes and consequences.
- Highlight what should be India’s response – Identification of heat spots, Review occupational health standard, regulate safety of work force amid rising temperature. Etc.
- Then move on to discussing that policy focus should mainly be upon Assessing geographic variability in heat wave vulnerability . (half of your answer should focus on this aspect)
Conclude with significance of right policy direction to tackle the menace.