Topic :Government policies and interventions for development in various sectors and issues arising out of their design and implementation. Infrastructure: Energy, Ports, Roads, Airports, Railways etc.
5) Discuss the problems plaguing private Airlines industries in India, Do you think the new aviation policy can bring some respite to the long suffocated competitive industry?(250 words)
Why this question:
The question is amidst the recent controversies surrounding Jet Airways, the problems faced by Indian aviation industry is alarming and one needs to assess the New aviation policy and the fixes it aims to bring.
Key demand of the question:
The answer must discuss the lacunae plaguing the airlines sector in India and explain the nuances of the new aviation policy.
Discuss – This is an all-encompassing directive – you have to debate on paper by going through the details of the issues concerned by examining each one of them. You have to give reasons for both for and against arguments.
Structure of the answer
Introduce by highlighting the alarming situation of airlines sector in India.
- The answer is straight forward and must be explained with recent cases such that ranging from Kingfisher airlines of the past to Jet airways of today.
- Quote suitable facts to express the current crisis situation in the Aviation industry in India.
- Discuss specific issues – competition , rise in the price of fuel, Government interventions, High operational costs, High cost of aviation turbine fuel, High service tax and other charges, Shortage of maintenance facilities, High foreign exchange rate, Competition from foreign airlines, Congestion at airports, Lack of qualified pilots and technical manpower etc.
- Discuss relevance of the new aviation policy ; salient features and what solutions it has to offer.
- Role of the government to help manage the crisis facing the industry.
Conclude with what needs to be done.