Topic: Conservation, environmental pollution and degradation, environmental impact assessment, Disaster and disaster management.
6) Whilst mangrove forests play a major role with indispensable ecological services, scientific management of the same is the need of the hour. Discuss.(250 words)
Why this question:
The article captures as to how the scientific management of mangroves is need of the hour in our country.
Key demand of the question:
The answer must explain the importance of Mangrove ecosystem in protection of the coastlines and minimizing disasters due to cyclones and tsunami and how mangroves store more carbon dioxide than most other forests. One has to highlight the role played by the mangroves in maintaining a balance in the ecosystem services and thus the need of preserving them and conserving them.
Discuss – This is an all-encompassing directive – you have to debate on paper by going through the details of the issues concerned by examining each one of them. You have to give reasons for both for and against arguments.
Structure of the answer:
Introduce with what are mangroves briefly, their role in ecosystem.
- Explain what are Mangroves, their roles and functions.
- How a mangrove ecosystem is the interface between terrestrial forests and aquatic marine ecosystems.
- Brief upon the distribution of Mangroves in India.
- Why is the need for preserving ? – discuss the aspects of scientific management.
- What needs to be done – policy level? Individual level and societal level.
Conclude with importance of preserving Mangrove ecosystem.