Topic :Indian Economy and issues relating to planning, mobilization of resources, growth, development.
5) Alongside recurrent unseasonal rains and storms, with rural India heading towards fifth consecutive below-normal monsoon and drought year Rural economy is headed for a crisis. Critically analyse.(250 words)
Why this question:
Over 50 people were killed as rain, coupled with thunderstorm and lightning, hit several parts of Rajasthan, Madhya Pradesh, Gujarat and Maharashtra overnight yesterday. Amidst it the predictions of another El-Nino year is making Rural India more vulnerable to the crisis.
Key demand of the question:
The answer must explain in detail the issues and concerns Rural India is facing due to unseasonal rains, thunderstorms and recurrent below Monsoon and drought years.
Critically analyze – When asked to analyze, you have to examine methodically the structure or nature of the topic by separating it into component parts and present them as a whole in a summary. When ‘critically’ is suffixed or prefixed to a directive, one needs to look at the good and bad of the topic and give a fair judgement.
Structure of the answer:
Begin with a brief narration on current scenario, state facts and reports suggesting below Monsoon year.
- Discuss with facts like – Fifth consecutive drought for 1/3 districts, dipping rural wages, El Nino threatening monsoon have squeezed livelihood options for over 500 million Indians.
- Explain the loss of demand owing to factors such as abundant monsoon rain and lack in credit availability.
- Most of the villages are in India’s rainfed areas and host the poorest population. Currently, 300 districts are already under drought, the third and fifth consecutive for regions such as Marathwada in Maharashtra and Rayalseema in Andhra Pradesh.
- Discuss the Agrarian crisis.
- Explain the double whammy – First, farmers lost crops and income from agriculture to consecutive droughts. Second, when they looked for alternative option of livelihoods, there was not much to take up. It means their economic conditions have simply worsened.
- Conclude with what measures must be taken to fix the possible crisis.
End with necessity of boosting the economy with external stimulus, need for diversification rural economy from single point of Agriculture.