Are you Ready for Insta 75 Days Revision Plan (UPSC Prelims - 2020)?
Topic : Government policies and interventions for development in various sectors and issues arising out of their design and implementation.
4) India is facing an unprecedented and worsening water crisis, amidst such alarming scenario, Discuss the challenges in Water Governance faced by the country.(250 words)
Why this question:
The question is straightforward and revolves around water governance and the challenges associated with it in India.
Key demand of the question:
The answer must discuss the unprecedented and worsening water crisis India is facing and the challenges that the water sector is confronted with. Emphasis should be on the issues revolving around water governance in the country.
Discuss – This is an all-encompassing directive – you have to debate on paper by going through the details of the issues concerned by examining each one of them. You have to give reasons for both for and against arguments.
Structure of the answer
Introduce by highlighting the alarming situation of water crisis.
- Highlight some data – reports and facts justifying acute shortage of water.
- Discuss the causative factors of such a crisis – rivers are getting more polluted, their catchments, water-holding and water-harvesting mechanisms are deteriorating, and groundwater levels are depleting at an alarming rate.
- Explain what you understand by water governance; then discuss the challenges involved in it – lack of credible “water information,” question of groundwater sustainability, water infrastructure, neglect of essentials of water storage, the local water systems, rivers, wetlands, forests, soil moisture, and groundwater aquifers and their sustained effectiveness etc.
- Discuss what needs to be done to overcome these challenges.
Conclude with way forward, significance of effective water governance system.