Are you Ready for Insta 75 Days Revision Plan (UPSC Prelims - 2020)?
Topic: Salient features of the Representation of People’s Act.
2) Whether exercised as an individual protest mark or a tactical tool to defeat a candidate, Do you agree that emergence of NOTA as a powerful democratic tool is beyond doubt? Discuss.(250 words)
Why this question:
The article discusses the ‘None of the Above’ provision on electoral voting machines and in what way it is turning out to be a decentralized protest.
Demand of the question:
The answer must evaluate in detail the aspects of NOTA system in making electoral process more effective and how it has emerged as a powerful democratic tool.
Discuss – This is an all-encompassing directive – you have to debate on paper by going through the details of the issues concerned by examining each one of them. You have to give reasons for both for and against arguments.
Structure of the answer:
Start by explaining the what you understand by NOTA.
- Discuss what is the provision of NOTA.
- Its evolution and significance in Indian electoral system.
- Explain how NOTA triggers more political participation, it involves a very cumbersome process and also compromises privacy of the decision. Given the rising disappointment from politicians, the NOTA option is turning out to be the most effective forum to protest at every individual level. The campaigns by civil society groups to appeal for NOTA may emerge as the next big political participation in the world’s largest democracy.
- Discuss pros and cons of such a system, provide for a comparison with other countries.
Conclude with way forward.