Topic:Salient aspects of Art forms, Literature and Architecture from ancient to modern times.
1) Notre Dame Cathedral is one of the finest examples of French Gothic cathedral architecture. Explain the salient features of this architecture, what makes it unique world heritage site?(250 words)
Why this question:
Recently a catastrophic fire has engulfed the famous Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris, France. The cathedral, whose name means Our Lady, is the seat of the archbishop of Paris.
Key demand of the question:
The answer must explain in detail French Gothic cathedral architecture. And Notre Dame Cathedral as one of its finest examples.
Explain – Clarify the topic by giving a detailed account as to how and why it occurred, or what is the particular context. You must be defining key terms where ever appropriate, and substantiate with relevant associated facts.
Structure of the answer:
Begin with what you understand by Gothic architecture.
- French Gothic architecture is a style which emerged in France in 1140, and was dominant until the mid-16th century. The most notable examples are the great Gothic cathedrals of France, including Notre Dame Cathedral, Chartres Cathedral, and Amiens Cathedral.
- Its main characteristics were the search for verticality, or height, and the innovative use of flying buttresses and other architectural innovations to distribute the weight of the stone structures to supports on the outside, allowing unprecedented height and volume, The new techniques also permitted the addition of larger windows, including enormous stained glass windows, which filled the cathedrals with light.
- The French style was widely copied in other parts of northern Europe, particularly Germany and England. It was gradually supplanted as the dominant French style in the mid-16th century.
- Discuss the specific characteristics of the architecture.
- Explain – Notre Dame Cathedral, its importance as world heritage site.
Conclude by stating need for reconstructing such a marvel.