Topic: Human Values – lessons from the lives and teachings of great leaders, reformers and administrators; role of family, society and educational institutions in inculcating values.
8) Essence of Democracy lies in the respect for multiple views. Discuss Ambedkar and Gandhi’s views on democracy in this context.(250 words)
Why this question:
The question is straightforward and is about discussing views of leaders upon Essence of democracy that it respects multiple views.
Key demand of the question:
The answer must discuss the views of Mahatma Gandhi and Dr B R Ambedkar on respecting minority views in a democracy.
Discuss – This is an all-encompassing directive – you have to debate on paper by going through the details of the issues concerned by examining each one of them. You have to give reasons for both for and against arguments.
Structure of the answer:
Explain the importance of multiple views in a democracy.
- present views of both leaders and provide for a comparison and contrast their respective thoughts for democracy in terms of views on social democracy, political democracy etc.
- Democracy emphasis popular participation and majority carry the day.
- Any decision or opinion arrived at through democratic means is assumed to be based on openness and equality.
- democracy and equality both work in tandem . Such things , you can’t bring through dictatorship policy. Democracy is the ultimate answer, where you are governed by the people , for people and from the people through a policy of census.
Conclude with significance of both leaders and their contributions.