Topic :Conservation, environmental pollution and degradation
5) The world’s oceans are currently undergoing a dangerous transformation resulting into suffocating dead zones, in this context discuss the causes and effects of Oceanic dead zones on Marine ecosystem.(250 words)
Why this question:
The world’s oceans are currently undergoing a dangerous transformation. Scientists have detected vast ‘dead zones’ around the world, where hypoxic water lacks the necessary oxygen for marine life to survive. Thus it is necessary for us to examine the causes and consequences.
Key demand of the question:
In the context of the article , answer must discuss what are dead zones, why is there an increasing incidence of their formation, causes and consequences . conclude with what needs to be done to save marine ecosystem.
Discuss – This is an all-encompassing directive – you have to debate on paper by going through the details of the issues concerned by examining each one of them. You have to give reasons for both for and against arguments.
Structure of the answer:
Begin with what you understand by Ocean dead zones.
- A dead zone in the ocean is created by hypoxia and is also known as a hypoxic region, caused by insufficient amount of oxygen. These spots are found in oceans and in other large bodies of water all over the world, and can be caused by natural occurrences such as the shifting of the routine patterns of water and wind.
- Quote examples
- Causes – mainly by pollution from irresponsible industrial practices, marine animals are unable to live in these underwater areas because there is not enough oxygen circulating to allow them to survive.
- Discuss the causes and effects of Ocean Dead Zones.
- Suggest Solutions to Ocean Dead Zones.
Conclude by stating urgent need of dealing with dead zones of oceans and essence of saving marine ecosystem.