Topic : Salient features of the Representation of People’s Act.
4) Election finance is at the root of much corruption in India. Critically analyse. (250 words)
Why this question:
The article discusses in detail the alarming issue of election finance which is at the root of much corruption in India and how until it is completely overhauled, the country shouldn’t rest.
Key demand of the question:
The answer must discuss the current context of elections in detail, the focus of the answer must be upon the finance aspects of the elections and the corruption involved therein.
Critically analyze – When asked to analyze, you have to examine methodically the structure or nature of the topic by separating it into component parts and present them as a whole in a summary. When ‘critically’ is suffixed or prefixed to a directive, one needs to look at the good and bad of the topic and give a fair judgement.
Structure of the answer
Introduce by highlighting the alarming situation of election finance in India and corruption involved therein.
- The answer must centre around types of election financing methods available in India , the corrupt means.
- Lack of accountability and transparency.
- Open admission that votes are in fact secured through large, illegal and illegitimate expenditure on elections.
- Discuss the various methods of election funding ; associated issues.
- Provide solutions – overcoming the clandestine collection of election funds would be to introduce state funding of elections as so many countries have done.
Conclude with how Cleansing political parties and elections of illegal money is the first step towards tackling the evil of corruption.