Topic: Social empowerment of women.
Government policies and interventions for development in various sectors and issues arising out of their design and implementation.
1) Addressing the supply challenge as demand for electricity rapidly increases will be key not only for India’s economic growth but also in empowering women in rural areas. Comment.(250 words)
Why this question:
The article is in the light of recently released World Bank study that has appreciated the fact that the with increase in demand for electricity ,addressing supply challenge will be key not only for India’s economic growth but also in empowering women in rural areas.
Key demand of the question:
Discussion should focus upon as to in what way access to electricity is associated with significant improvement in women’s empowerment.
Comment– here we have to express our knowledge and understanding of the issue and form an overall opinion thereupon.
Structure of the answer:
Introduce by stating the presence of a correlation in supply of electricity and women empowerment specially in Rural India.
In brief discuss –
- Quote the facts observed by the report.
- Explain how electricity in rural India decides factors such as – women’s decision-making ability, mobility, financial autonomy, reproductive freedom and social participation of women in rural India.
- Access to electricity makes women more empowered as it is associated with greater job participation, education, health and exposure to electronic media, all of which are enabling factors for improved autonomy and social participation among women.
- You can as well provide for a comparison with Urban India.
Conclude with significance and increasing necessity of rural electrification not just for economic growth but for rural empowerment too.