Topic : Codes of Ethics, Codes of Conduct
6) Ethical codes are merely conceals. Shiny on the outside but hollow on the inside. Critically analyse. (250 words)
Ethics by Lexicon publications.
Why this question:
The question is about analyzing the effect of Ethical codes and importance of their validity.
Key demand of the question:
The answer must explain how ethical codes need backing to be in action and in lack of such backing they can become mere veneer and hollow in action.
Critically analyze – When asked to analyze, you have to examine methodically the structure or nature of the topic by separating it into component parts and present them as a whole in a summary. When ‘critically’ is suffixed or prefixed to a directive, one needs to look at the good and bad of the topic and give a fair judgement.
Structure of the answer:
Introduce with importance of ethical codes in public services and in general.
Explain the following –
- What you understand by ethical codes.
- How are they different from code of conduct.
- Importance of code of ethics in organizations, public services etc.
- Discuss what needs to be done to ensure effective working of Ethical codes.
Re-assert the significance of Ethical codes and that they are of no use without necessary support systems.