Topic : Functions and responsibilities of the Union and the States, issues and challenges pertaining to the federal structure, devolution of powers and finances up to local levels and challenges therein.
3) What makes the principle of federalism of Indian constitution unique compared to the other constitutions of the world ? Discuss.(250 words)
Indian Polity by Lakshmikant, D D Basu
why this question:
The question is about discussing the concept of Federalism in India and justifying as to what makes it different from other constitutions with federal features.
Demand of the question:
The answer must discuss the Emergence of Federalism and its Evolution in India, what makes it different from other countries and provide for a detailed analysis of what makes it different from others.
Discuss – This is an all-encompassing directive – you have to debate on paper by going through the details of the issues concerned by examining each one of them. You have to give reasons for both for and against arguments.
Structure of the answer:
Start by explaining what you understand by Federalism.
Discuss the following aspects –
- The history of Federalism in India and the Federal Scheme under the present-day Constitution of India.
- Postmodern Philosophy in Different Nations: Meaning, Definition, and Features of Federalism. – Two sets of government constitutionally coordinate, Division of powers between center and units, A federal court as a guardian of the constitution; and Supremacy of the constitution which is rigid.
- Constitutional Character of Federalism in India
- Judicial Character of Federalism in India
- What makes it different – comparison with other countries
- Challenges to Federal Character of India with recent examples
Conclude with Present and Future of Federalism in India.