Topic :Conservation, environmental pollution and degradation
6) Critically analyse India’s Domestic Climate Policy. Suggest solutions to overcome the current concerns associated with it.(250 words)
Why this question:
the article provides for a critical analysis of India’s domestic climate policy and highlights how it is fragmented and brings out the deficiencies it has on clarity front.
Key demand of the question:
The answer must critically examine India’s Domestic Climate Policy, the lacunae it has and suggest what needs to be done to overcome these issues.
Critically analyze – When asked to analyze, you have to examine methodically the structure or nature of the topic by separating it into component parts and present them as a whole in a summary. When ‘critically’ is suffixed or prefixed to a directive, one needs to look at the good and bad of the topic and give a fair judgement.
Structure of the answer
write a few introductory lines about India’s current Climate Policy.
Answers must discuss in detail the following points :
- Features of India’s Domestic Climate Policy.
- What are the issues associated? – disjointed institutional architecture, lack of environmental governance, Issues with the enforceability of global climate agreements etc.
- Failures of policies – causes and consequences. Take cues from the article.
- suggest what should India do? – need for a comprehensive policy document with a new vision, new policy must include stakes from incorporates inputs from policymakers, natural and social scientists, the academic community, civil society and communities from across the country, prospect for future research and deliberation. Etc.
Conclude with optimism and suggest way forward.