Topic: Government policies and interventions for development in various sectors and issues arising out of their design and implementation. Conservation, environmental pollution and degradation, environmental impact assessment.
5) Discuss the achievements made by Namami Gange programme. How was it different in its approach from the previous policies aimed at cleaning Ganga?(250 words)
Why this question:
Recently the National Mission for Clean Ganga (NMCG) was awarded the distinction of “Public Water Agency of the Year” by Global Water Intelligence at the Global Water Summit in London. Thus it becomes necessary for us to examine the achievement.
Key demand of the question:
The question is about analyzing the significance of Namami Gange programme and the achievements made by it, one has to analyse what policy changes led to the success of program over the other past programs that aimed at same goal.
Discuss – This is an all-encompassing directive – you have to debate on paper by going through the details of the issues concerned by examining each one of them. You have to give reasons for both for and against arguments.
Structure of the answer:
In a few introductory lines brief upon the background.
The question must discuss the following points :
- about the program – is an umbrella programme which integrates previous and currently ongoing initiatives by enhancing efficiency, extracting synergies and supplementing them with more comprehensive & better coordinated interventions. Government of India is supplementing the efforts of the state governments in addressing the pollution of river Ganga by providing financial assistance to the states
- Salient features of Namami Gange programme.
- Method of implementation – entry level, medium term activities and long term activities that makes it different from other programs.
- How it happened to be an integrated mission for Ganga rejuvenation, a comprehensive multi-sector intervention with multi-stakeholder involvement that adopted a basin-based approach etc.
- Compare it with previous programs.
Conclude with significance of such programs.