Topic: Indian Constitution– historical underpinnings, evolution, features, amendments, significant provisions and basic structure.
1) The historic leap of faith taken in granting universal adult suffrage democratized Indian governance in inconceivable ways. Analyse. (250 words)
Why this question:
The article talks about democratic evolution of right to vote and its significance as a weapon to bring about large-scale social reconstruction.
Key demand of the question:
The answer must cover a detailed discussion on the evolution of universal adult suffrage and its role in democratizing Indian governance.
Analyze – When asked to analyze, you have to examine methodically the structure or nature of the topic by separating it into component parts and present them as a whole in a summary.
Structure of the answer:
Briefly narrate the historical coming of universal adult suffrage.
Discussion should have the following aspects :
- Evolution of voting as a right in Indian history.
- Importance of Universal adult suffrage and its recognition.
- Take cues from the article and discuss Ambedkar’s struggle with emphasis on social reconstruction that necessitated adult franchise.
- Discuss the principles that formed the backbone of universal adult franchise in becoming part of the Constitution.
- Bring out how it democratized today’s governance system .
Conclude with significance of leaders and the fact that universal adult franchise played a key role in changing fate of India.