Topic: Functions and responsibilities of the Union and the States, issues and challenges pertaining to the federal structure, devolution of powers and finances up to local levels and challenges therein.
2) Explain the discretionary powers of the Governor mentioned in the Indian Constitution. Why is it held that the post of governor has become highly politicized in recent times?(250 words)
Why this question:
The question is from the static portions of GS paper II, you must enumerate the discretionary powers of the Governor mentioned in the Indian constitution. The discussion in second half should focus on the recent controversies involved around the office of Governor.
Key demand of the question:
The answer must discuss discretionary powers of the governor and the factors that have led to the politicization of the governor’s post.
Explain – Clarify the topic by giving a detailed account as to how and why it occurred, or what is the particular context. You must be defining key terms where ever appropriate, and substantiate with relevant associated facts.
Structure of the answer:
Briefly narrate the significance of the office of Governor.
The discussion should have the following points :
- The first half should discuss the powers – Constitutional discretion and Situational discretion of the Governor.
- Discuss how the office of Governor has become a tool of Centre to interfere in the working of state governments.
- factors that have led to such a situation of politicization
- what needs to be done
- quote some examples of recent controversies.
Conclude with significance of the office of Governor and that issues associated with it should be addressed necessarily.