Topic: Attitude: content, structure, function; its influence and relation with thought and behaviour; moral and political attitudes; social influence and persuasion.
7) Discuss the significance of power of persuasion in Public services. (250 words)
Ethics by Lexicon
Why this question:
The question is about discussing the significance of power of persuasion in Public services.
Key demand of the question:
The answer is straightforward and must discuss the significance of power of persuasion in Public services.
Discuss – This is an all-encompassing directive – you have to debate on paper by going through the details of the issues concerned by examining each one of them. You have to give reasons for both for and against arguments.
Structure of the answer:
In a few introductory lines write about what you understand by power of persuasion.
Discuss the following :
- What is power of persuasion – ability to persuade people, In both our professional and personal lives, being able to influence others to buy into our ideas is invaluable.
- Discuss the 6 principles of persuasion –
- Reciprocity: Give a Little Something to Get a Little Something in Return.
- Commitment: People Want Their Beliefs to Be Consistent With Their Values
- Social Proof: There’s Nothing Like Feeling Validated Based on What Others Are Doing.
- Give examples of the above principles and their relevance in public services and thus appreciate the role played by power of persuasion.
Conclude with significance of such traits in public servants to persuade people into the right direction for the right causes.