Are you Ready for Insta 75 Days Revision Plan (UPSC Prelims - 2020)?
Topic : Science and Technology- developments and their applications and effects in everyday life.
6) Discuss the recent developments with respect to CRISPR technology also bring out the ethical concerns associated to it. (250 words)
why this question:
For the first time, four lizards have been genetically modified using the CRISPR-Cas9 gene editing tool.
Key demand of the question:
The question is about analyzing the significance of CRISPR technology and discussing the ethical angle associated with it.
Discuss – This is an all-encompassing directive – you have to debate on paper by going through the details of the issues concerned by examining each one of them. You have to give reasons for both for and against arguments.
Structure of the answer:
In a few introductory lines state the background of the context of question.
In brief discuss –
- What is CRISPR technology ?
- Scenario – Recently Scientists developed a new version of a gene drive that allows the spread of specific, favorable genetic variants, also known as ‘alleles,’ throughout a population. The new ‘allelic drive’ is equipped with a guide RNA that directs CRISPR to cut undesired variants of a gene and replace it with a preferred version. Using a word processing analogy, CRISPR-based gene drives allow scientists to edit sentences of genetic information, while the new allelic drive offers letter-by-letter editing.
- Significance of CRISPR technology, how it works.
- Ethical issues involved – clinical applications of the technology in human beings, lack of protocols, risk of mutations etc.
Conclude with significance of such tools in path-breaking technology, to alter genes in order to tackle a number of conventional and unconventional problems, especially in the health sector.