Topic : Indian Constitution- historical underpinnings, evolution, features, amendments, significant provisions and basic structure.
3) Discuss the matters with respect to which a Bill needs prior consent of the President before it is introduced in Parliament.(250 words)
Why this question:
The question is straight forward from the basics of the polity.
Demand of the question:
Discuss in detail the process involved in passage of Bill with emphasis on matters that require prior consent of the President.
Discuss – This is an all-encompassing directive – you have to debate on paper by going through the details of the issues concerned by examining each one of them. You have to give reasons for both for and against arguments.
Structure of the answer:
one can start by defining significance of passage of Bill in the parliament.
The question is straightforward and conceptual , thus there is not much to discuss, Every bill passed by two houses becomes a law only after assent of president and hence president is an integral part of parliament.
Following matters must be covered in your discussion :
- Bills that seek to change or alter name, boundaries, area of a state or form a new state by separation of territory from any state under Article 3 of Indian constitution. This is essential to preserve principle of federalism.
- Money bill under Article 110 and financial bill under Article 117(I). This is to keep a check on arbitrary state power in matters of taxation.
- State bills which impose restriction upon freedom of trade under Article 304. This provision ensures unrestricted trade between states except on reasonable and non-discriminatory grounds.
- Bill which imposes or varies any tax or duty in which states are interested under Article 274, to ensure financial autonomy of state and fiscal federalism.
Conclude with significance of Presidential assent.