Topic:Indian Constitution- historical underpinnings, evolution, features, amendments, significant provisions and basic structure.
2) Critically analyse why the Gandhian concept of “village republics” could not find place in original constitution with regards to Panchayati Raj Institutions. (250 words)
Why this question:
The question is in the context of Gandhi’s concept of democratic decentralization and why it could not find place in the original constitution.
Key demands of the question:
The answer must provide for a detailed discussion on the concept of village Swaraj and why Gandhian concept of Village Development was not taken into account in the original constitution.
Critically analyze – When asked to analyze, you have to examine methodically the structure or nature of the topic by separating it into component parts and present them as a whole in a summary. When ‘critically’ is suffixed or prefixed to a directive, one needs to look at the good and bad of the topic and give a fair judgement.
Structure of the answer:
Highlight the background of the constitutional debates with respect to Panchayati Raj.
Discuss the following features in the answer:
- Concept of Village republic by Mahatma Gandhi – village will be a complete republic, independent of its neighbours for its own vital wants. The government of the village will be conducted by the Panchayat of five persons, annually elected by adult villagers.
- Importance of Democratic Decentralization.
- Contrast the ideas of B R Ambedkar and his ideas of Village system – the structure of village settlements reflected basic tenets of Hinduism that never recognized Dalits as equal. Dr. Ambedkar was of the view that the villages contributed to and sustained the divisive nature of the Hindu society, where the untouchables always remained “outside the fold. He was against the very idea of village republic mainly because he had seen the atrocities, isolation, discrimination and separation of Dalits during his early childhood.
- Also present the ideas of Nehru.
- Discuss the present constitutional features – DPSP , 73rd constitutional amendment act etc.
conclude your answer with significance o Gandhian idea and that for India, its villages are as important as cities.