Topic : Effect of policies and politics of developed and developing countries on India’s interests, Indian diaspora.
4) The United States recently moved Iran’s elite military Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps as a foreign terrorist. DO you think these are new methods of increasing economic and political pressure on the regime in Tehran? Discuss.(250 words)
Why this question:
The article captures the recent move of President Donald Trump, he has announced that the United States is designating Iran’s elite military force, the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC), a terrorist organization.
The move could have widespread implications for U.S. personnel and policy in the Middle East and elsewhere. This will mark the first such designation by any American administration of an entire foreign government entity.
Key demand of the question:
The answer must cover a detailed discussion on the economic and political pressure on the regime in Iran that US wants to assert and what will be its implications.
Discuss – This is an all-encompassing directive – you have to debate on paper by going through the details of the issues concerned by examining each one of them. You have to give reasons for both for and against arguments.
Structure of the answer:
Highlight the situation , explain the background in brief.
Discussion should have the following dimensions :
- About the About Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps.
- The move could have widespread implications for U.S. personnel and policy in the Middle East and elsewhere. This will mark the first such designation by any American administration of an entire foreign government entity.
- The “unprecedented” move recognizes the reality that Iran is not only a state sponsor of terrorism, but that the IRGC actively participates in, finances, and promotes terrorism as a tool of statecraft.
- Businesses and banks around the world now have a clear duty to ensure that companies with which they conduct financial transactions are not conducted with the IRGC in any material way.
- The measure would criminalize contact with the Guards and enable the prosecutors to bring charges to those that bring material support to the IRGC.
- Russia and China may start designating U.S. agencies for punitive actions.
- Iraq could be caught in a double bind, as it purchases electricity from Iran, including from entities tied to the IRGC etc.
Conclude with possible impacts of such a move on a geopolitical scenario.