Are you Ready for Insta 75 Days Revision Plan (UPSC Prelims - 2020)?
Topic: Indian Constitution- historical underpinnings, evolution, features, amendments, significant provisions and basic structure.
1) In view of the idea of holding simultaneous elections to the Lok Sabha and State Legislative Assemblies, discuss the advantages that its implementation would lead to and the concerns that it raises.(250 words)
Why this question:
The question is direct and it is debating about feasibility of simultaneous elections in India.
Key demands of the question:
The answer must provide for a detailed discussion on the possibility of Simultaneous elections in India, associated advantages, disadvantages and way forward.
Discuss – This is an all-encompassing directive – you have to debate on paper by going through the details of the issues concerned by examining each one of them. You have to give reasons for both for and against arguments.
Structure of the answer:
Highlight why the issue has come up in recent times in your introduction.
Discuss the following aspects in the answer:
- As per the question’s demand write the advantages of simultaneous holding of elections in Lok Sabha and State Legislative Assemblies.
- It will drastically reduce the cost of elections for both governments and political parties, and the administrative burden on the Election Commission to conduct elections.
- The imposition of the Model Code of Conduct at regular intervals puts many activities of the government on hold and affects governance. The policy paralysis would be done away with.
- There will be significant impact on delivery of essential services as more time would be devoted to the developmental activities. Political and social workers would have more time to invest in people oriented programme and grass root democracy.
- Concurrent polls would reduce the burden from central armed forces and manpower that is deployed at regular intervals for election duty.
- Enumerate the concerns related with the concurrent elections.
- feasibility of constitutional amendments
- Many voters may not be able to discern the difference between national and local issues etc.
- What can be done?
conclude your answer with a balanced approach. You can quote some Committee’s report in the conclusion.