- Issues relating to development and management of Social Sector/Services relating to Health, Education, Human Resources.
NIRF 2019 rankings
What to study?
- For Prelims: NIRF rankings, Institutes of eminence scheme.
- For Mains: Higher education reforms.
Context: NIRF 2019 rankings have been released.
Top 5 Engineering Institutions in India-2019:
- Indian Institute of Technology, Madras
- Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi
- Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay
- Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur
- Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur
Top 5 Universities:
- Indian Institute of Science, Bengaluru
- Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi
- Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi
- University of Hyderabad, Hyderabad
- Calcutta University, Kolkata
Top 5 Colleges:
- Miranda House, Delhi
- Hindu College, Delhi
- Presidency College, Chennai
- Stephen’s College, Delhi
- Lady Shri Ram College for Women, New Delhi
- Started in 2015, NIRF outlines a methodology to rank educational institutions across the country.
- The parameters used for ranking broadly cover teaching, learning and resources, research and professional practices, graduation outcome, outreach and inclusivity, and perception. From 2017, besides being ranked under specific disciplines, large institutions were also given a common overall rank.
- This year as well, educational institutions across the country were ranked in nine categories – overall, universities, engineering, colleges, management, pharmacy, medical, architecture and law.
Significance of NIRF:
Ranking promotes competition among the Universities and drive them to strive for excellence. The rankings assume significance as performance of institutions has been linked with “Institutions of Eminence” scheme.
What is Institutions of Eminence scheme?
The institutes of eminence scheme under the Union human resource development (HRD) ministry aims to project Indian institutes to global recognition.
- The 20 selected institutes will enjoy complete academic and administrative autonomy.
- The government will run 10 of these and they will receive special funding.
- The selection shall be made through challenge method mode by the Empowered Expert Committee constituted for the purpose.
- Only higher education institutions currently placed in the top 500 of global rankings or top 50 of the National Institutional Ranking Framework (NIRF) are eligible to apply for the eminence tag.
- The private Institutions of Eminence can also come up as greenfield ventures provided the sponsoring organisation submits a convincing perspective plan for 15 years.