Topic: Major crops cropping patterns in various parts of the country, different types of irrigation and irrigation systems storage, transport and marketing of agricultural produce and issues and related constraints; e-technology in the aid of farmers.
6) Problems in Indian cotton need ecological understanding, not biotechnology. Critically analyse.(250 words)
Why this question:
The article captures the problems surrounding the Indian cotton Industry specifically at the crop level and emphasizes on how the issue is more related to ecological factors than the Biotechnological ones.
Key demand of the question:
The answer must cover a detailed discussion on the current situation of cotton growing areas and the problems facing them in India. One has to provide detailed critical analysis of the subject.
Critically analyze – When asked to analyze, you have to examine methodically the structure or nature of the topic by separating it into component parts and present them as a whole in a summary. When ‘critically’ is suffixed or prefixed to a directive, one needs to look at the good and bad of the topic and give a fair judgement.
Structure of the answer:
Highlight the havoc of regional outbreaks of secondary pests, namely the American bollworm, that was induced by the ecological disruption and the subsequent dip in cotton production.
Discussion should have the following dimensions :
- highlight the trends of cotton yields and production currently in India.
- Discuss the ecological disruption factor leading to low yields.
- Explain other factors that are mostly ecological and not much related to BT cotton issues.
- Discuss what needs to be done?
- Take cues from the article to substantiate your answer with backing of facts.
Conclude with way forward.