- Population and associated issues, poverty and developmental issues, urbanization, their problems and their remedies.
Green Urban Areas
What to study?
- For Prelims: About CPWD.
- For Mains: Green Space Areas- their significance, need and measures needed to increase green spaces in urban areas.
Context: CPWD recently organized National Seminar on “Greenery and Landscaping”.
Following recommendations were made during the Seminar:
- Green Urban Areas play an important role in the social and natural sustainability and improve quality of life.
- Greenery and Dense plantation have a major impact on the conservation of energy, and reduce the energy requirement of the building.
- In order to maintain sustainable environment, pollution free clean air, it is essential to take up the plantation work.
- Cost of land has increased manifold and high rise buildings are coming up, people are getting hardly any area for the greenery. Keeping in view the same, plantation, greenery and other environment friendly applications should be planned around the building by way of dwarf trees, small shrubs, ground covers, hanging baskets, creepers, etc.
- There is need to adopt wood alternative in building construction. Use of alternate materials like Bamboo needs to be encouraged.
- Orientation and proper training should be imparted to the persons engaged in landscaping and Horticulture, for implementation of the new technologies in this field to save the labour and cost of the project in long run.
- Emphasis should be given for conserving and transplanting indigenous and grown up trees.
- Herbal and medicinal plants need to be encouraged. Herbal plants are useful for keeping the life healthy.
- Application of Organic Manure needs to be adopted for healthy and nutritious food.
- Water conserving irrigation method like drip irrigation, Sprinkler irrigation and pop up system needs to be adopted.
- Plants and greenery help in reducing adverse effects of climate change. Therefore every individual should adopt minimum one tree.
- Green initiative needs to be taken up on a mission mode by every nation, every city, every society and every individual so that future generations may lead happy and healthy life.
What are Green Urban Areas/Spaces and why are they significant?
- Green spaces such as parks and sports fields as well as woods and natural meadows, wetlands or other ecosystems, represent a fundamental component of any urban ecosystem.
- Green urban areas facilitate physical activity and relaxation, and form a refuge from noise. Trees produce oxygen, and help filter out harmful air pollution, including airborne particulate matter. Water spots, from lakes to rivers and fountains, moderate temperatures.
- Urban parks and gardens play a critical role in cooling cities, and also provide safe routes for walking and cycling for transport purposes as well as sites for physical activity, social interaction and for recreation. Recent estimates show that physical inactivity, linked to poor walkability and lack of access to recreational areas, accounts for 3.3% of global deaths.
- Green spaces also are important to mental health. Having access to green spaces can reduce health inequalities, improve well-being, and aid in treatment of mental illness. Some analysis suggests that physical activity in a natural environment can help remedy mild depression and reduce physiological stress indicators.