Topic: Important aspects of governance, transparency and accountability, e-governance- applications, models, successes, limitations, and potential; citizens charters, transparency & accountability and institutional and other measures. Indian Economy and issues relating to planning, mobilization of resources, growth, development and employment.
4) What do you understand by Populism? Do you think populist nationalism can be divisive and damage the economic growth of the country ? critically analyse.(250 words)
Why this question:
The article discusses in detail the rise of wave of populism recently being witnessed across the world.
Key demand of the question:
The answer must discuss the ideology of populism and the affect it has on Indian economy, one has to provide for a critical analysis as to how the populist policies can prove to be damaging to the economy of the country.
Critically analyze – When asked to analyze, you have to examine methodically the structure or nature of the topic by separating it into component parts and present them as a whole in a summary. When ‘critically’ is suffixed or prefixed to a directive, one needs to look at the good and bad of the topic and give a fair judgement.
Structure of the answer:
Briefly discuss the ideology of populism.
The discussion should have the following points :
- How are economic problems/inequality/joblessness leading to rise of populist regimes/policies?
- What are other fundamental problems/reasons?- cultural backlash and insecurities; post war economic arrangement and neoliberal policies; global power shift etc.
- How populism has been different for developed and developing economies?
- History and reasons for populism in India?
Conclude with way forward and assert the significance of democracy and its tools that keep such effects and ideologies under check.