Topic: Issues relating to poverty and hunger.
3) Discuss the highlights of Global Report on Food Crises 2019 with special focus on Indian scenario.(250 words)
Why this question:
The question is in the light of the recently released Global Report on Food Crises 2019 jointly by the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO), World Food Programme (WFP) and EU.
Key demand of the question:
The answer must evaluate in detail the highlights of report and assess the global food crises associated concerns, causes and measures needed to tackle it.
Discuss – This is an all-encompassing directive – you have to debate on paper by going through the details of the issues concerned by examining each one of them. You have to give reasons for both for and against arguments.
Structure of the answer
write a few introductory lines bring out the significant points of the report.
Answers must discuss the following aspects :
- Key findings in the latest report published – Approximately 113 million people in 53 countries experienced high levels of food insecurity last year. These crises are primarily driven by conflict and climate-related disasters. The number going chronically-hungry has remained well over 100 million over the past three years, with the number of countries affected, rising. According to the report, nearly two-thirds of those facing acute hunger come from just eight countries: Afghanistan, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Ethiopia, Nigeria, South Sudan, Sudan, Syria and Yemen. Climate and natural disasters pushed another 29 million people into acute food insecurity in 2018 and that number excludes 13 countries – including North Korea and Venezuela – because of data gaps.
- Discuss the causative factors – wars, genocides, poverty, instability etc.
- What are the associated concerns? – the figure is still way too high.
- What needs to be done – policies, global coordination etc.
Conclude with way forward.