Topic-Salient features of world’s physical geography.
3) Discuss the significance of geohydrology in understanding and managing problems of urban floods.(250 words)
Why this question:
It is about the concept of Hydrology and the aid it provides in understanding and managing the problems of Urban floods.
Demand of the question:
This question seeks to examine the problems posed by urban floods and how and in what way study of hydrology helps I understanding the situation of floods better and help in resolving the same. One is expected to establish How Urbanisation affect the hydrological cycle and thus study of hydrology helps in understanding the flood situations better.
Discuss – This is an all-encompassing directive – you have to debate on paper by going through the details of the issues concerned by examining each one of them. You have to give reasons for both for and against arguments.
Structure of the answer:
Start with brief introduction of hydrological cycle, urban flood scenario.
Discuss the following points in detail:
- Why is hydrology important? What you understand by urban hydrology?
- How does Urbanization affect the hydrological cycle? Leading to urban floods.
- Analyse the causes and consequences of urban floods.
- Explain the significance of study of hydrology , quote examples of recent Kerala floods, Chennai floods.
Conclude that Hydrology has evolved as a science in response to the need to understand the complex water system of the earth and help solve water problems.