Topic: Parliament and State Legislatures – structure, functioning, conduct of business, powers & privileges and issues arising out of these.
4) The MCC Is not legally binding and there is no great punishment or penalty for violating it. unless the violation can be prosecuted under sections of the Indian Penal Code and the Code of Criminal Procedure At the least. In such a context how is the party in power expected to conduct itself when MCC is in operation? Discuss. (250 words)
Why this question:
On 27th March, India successfully tested A-SAT. This news was addressed by Prime Minister Narendra himself, the opposition is now accusing PM Modi of violating the model code of conduct. Under such circumstances the election commission had directed a committee to examine the matter. Thus it becomes necessary for us to evaluate the conduct of party in power when MCC is in action.
Key demand of the question:
The question expects us to discuss and analyse the role of party in power in the context of Model code of conduct in action, One has to evaluate what are the privileges and limitations that the party in power can exercise.
Discuss – This is an all-encompassing directive – you have to debate on paper by going through the details of the issues concerned by examining each one of them. You have to give reasons for both for and against arguments.
Structure of the answer:
Begin with brief introductory lines on importance of Model code of conduct in conducting free and fair elections in a Democracy.
- Narrate the context of the question, provide for a backgrounder.
- Take cues from the article and quote the conclusion made by the committee appointed by the election commission of India.
- Then move on to discuss what are the do’s and don’ts prescribed by the MCC.
- What should be the general conduct of parties and politicians during the period of MCC. – Limit criticism of political parties to their policies and programmes. They should not use caste and communal feelings to secure votes, Processions Organizers must coordinate with those of other candidates and parties to ensure there is no clash between them etc.
- One can also choose to criticize that there was no grave national emergency involved, requiring the PM to urgently address the nation. The event was meant to claim an achievement to impress voters.
Conclude with importance of MCC and how it should evolve better to ensure much fairer and free elections.