- Awareness in the fields of IT, Space, Computers, robotics, nano-technology, bio-technology and issues relating to intellectual property rights.
Biomedical Research Career Programme
What to study?
For Prelims and Mains: Key features and significance of the programme.
Context: The Union Cabinet has approved the continuation of the Biomedical Research Career Programme (BRCP).
- It is an Alliance between the Department of Biotechnology (DBT) and Wellcome Trust (WT).
- The Programme will fulfil the objectives of building and nurturing talent of highest global standards in cutting-edge biomedical research in India, which has led to important scientific breakthroughs and applications to meet societal needs.
- BRCP will make it attractive for high quality Indian scientists working abroad to return to India, and has increased the number of locations geographically within India where world-class biomedical research is undertaken.
- The Programme would continue to build this capacity as also strengthen clinical research and work towards addressing important health challenges for India.
The Wellcome Trust is an independent charity funding research to improve human and animal health. Established in 1936 and with an endowment of around £15 billion, it is the largest non-governmental source of funds for biomedical research in the United Kingdom.