Topic: Government policies and interventions for development in various sectors and issues arising out of their design and implementation .
Indian Economy and issues relating to planning, mobilization of resources, growth, development and employment.
3) The idea of an urban employment programme is gaining traction in political and policy debates. In the context of the above statement, Discuss the problems associated with urban employment in India.(250 words)
Why this question:
The article highlights the issues revolving around the increased political debates of recently announced agenda of a possible Common Minimum Programme of the Opposition parties for the 2019 general election. The question is thus to examine the significance and issues involved in this context.
Key demand of the question:
The answer must discuss in detail the scenario of urban employment – unemployment in Urban India. Causes and consequences and why and how it has turned into a political tool for parties.
Discuss – This is an all-encompassing directive – you have to debate on paper by going through the details of the issues concerned by examining each one of them. You have to give reasons for both for and against arguments.
Structure of the answer
write a few introductory lines about the current ongoing debates of political parties, brief the context.
Answers must discuss the following aspects :
- Discuss the present scenario of urban employment, quote some facts here to justify the findings using reports such as – Periodic Labour Force Survey (PLFS) report of the National Sample Survey Office (NSSO).
- idea of an urban employment programme – pros and cons.
- Why we need ways to promote the sustainable development of India’s small and medium towns.
- Associated problems in detail – skilling, livelihood, population -resource conflict etc.
Conclude by suggesting a way forward.