Topic: Salient features of world’s physical geography.
1) Explain weathering and mass wasting, and describe their geomorphic significance. (250 words)
Why this question:
The question is based on the denudational processes of weathering and mass wasting.
Key demands of the question:
The answer must first elaborate on the concept in detail and write their geomorphic importance.
Explain – Clarify the topic by giving a detailed account as to how and why it occurred, or what is the particular context. You must be defining key terms where ever appropriate, and substantiate with relevant associated facts.
Structure of the answer:
Discuss in brief the concept.
Discuss the following aspects in the answer:
- Types of weathering – chemical, biological, physical etc.
- Factors Influencing Weathering Processes – climate, rock type, slope orientation, vegetation etc.
- What is mass movement and its types – soil creep, Solifluction, slumping or sliding.
- Present the above types with suitable diagrams and examples wherever possible.
- discuss their geomorphic significance.
Conclude with their significance in Earth building activities.