Topic: Probity in Governance: Concept of public service; Philosophical basis of governance and probity; Information sharing and transparency in government, Right to Information, Codes of Ethics, Codes of Conduct, Citizen’s Charters, Work culture, Quality of service delivery, Utilization of public funds, challenges of corruption.
7) Living up to the public trust is much more than just an act of compliance. Comment. (250 words)
Why this question:
The question is in the context of concept of public services, in what way public trust is an essential component of it.
Key demand of the question:
The answer must discuss in detail the aspects of public trust, its essence and how mere act of compliance cannot win public trust.
Comment– here we have to express our knowledge and understanding of the issue and form an overall opinion thereupon.
Structure of the answer:
Briefly narrate the essence of public service delivery.
Explain the following –
- First Why is political trust important? – Trust in institutions is important for the success of many government policies, programmes and regulations that depend on cooperation and compliance of citizens.
- What is the relationship between ethics and compliance in public services?
- What is the difference between ethics and compliance?
- Conclude how winning the trust of people is prime to delivering services and is not just an act of compliance.
Conclude with importance of trust with people in public services.